Steps Towards Adoption
1. We ask that you submit an application to adopt so we may begin to process and accept you as “parents in waiting”. At this time we ask that you provide the agency with the $350 (non-refundable) application fee and begin working on eligibility documents. For your convenience we offer the option to print the Application to Adopt and pay the Application fee online through our website. You must meet the eligibility requirements at time of application. A thorough background check will be done to ensure the safety of the child.
Documents to be included with your application:
- Pet vaccination (if applicable)
- Floor plans of your house with dimensions and diagramed fire evacuation plan with meeting place.
- Photos of the outside play area to be used by the child
- Copies of your state driver's license/ID (all members and others over age 14 living in home)
2. You will receive “initial acceptance”, upon approval of your application. This means you are now ready to move forward in:
- Scheduling a Home study, if one has not been completed, with a licensed social worker or you may give us a call and we can help you with information regarding your home study and what is needed.
- Obtaining FBI clearance which you will receive instructions on to do so.
- Submitting your profile which consists of your photo book (w/ two color copies), Dear Birth Parent letter, and completed Adoptive Parent De-Identified Profile form (please refer to pg. 24-28 of the Adoption Application). *All will need approval before submitting*
- Submitting the required eligibility documents. The list of these documents can be found on your Adoption Process Checklist. Please submit original agency documents and copies of your personal documents.
- Submitting your Financial Agreement, reviewed and signed. See our Financial Agreement Example.
- Paying agency fee, please refer to our fee policies (section III pg. 17-19 of the Adoption Application).
3. Once all of the following is received and approved you will be given full acceptance into the program as “Parents-in-Waiting”. We ask that you continue to work on gathering the rest of the required documents to submit to our office. At this time, your profile is active and will only be shown to birth parent(s) whose profiles meet your preferences. Open-minded preferences improve your probability of being chosen sooner. In addition to your profile, you are required to complete two readings every quarter from our Adoption library or from another pre-approved source. We welcome you to check out "Creating a Family" under our Helpful links. This site has many resources including their Radio Shows on Infertility and Adoption. You are able to write reports on the information you hear on the radio shows to meet your educational training.
4. When selected by a Birth Parent, a Commitment Packet is mailed to you containing all the Birth Parent information, including all available information that Adoption Angels has gathered (Birth Parent Profiles, medical records, and photos of the Birth Parent(s) and siblings of the unborn child, if available). You will have five (5) days to review the Birth family information, ask questions, and talk with family before you make your decision. If you decide to commit to a Birth family, you will be asked to sign a “Commitment Letter” (found in the Commitment Packet) which secures financial support and interest in the case.
We will continue making contact with you throughout the adoption process to ensure we have all required documents in place. It is important to remember that all paperwork must be in our office before placement can occur. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at (210) 227-2229.
Adoption Angels reserves the right to decline applicants if they do not meet the agency’s eligibility requirements. The agency will notify you writing if your application is declined.
We truly appreciate your interest in our Adoption program